Saturday, November 24, 2007

Randomness...

So we've returned from our East Coast visit & Andy has suggested we have an assessment of how things went. Assessment, meaning understanding the situation you are in and how to proceed from there. This was an interesting & beneficial suggestion.

I think this might be an appropriate thing to do pertaining to Otis as well, for he turned the big 2 years old today (and hypothetically for the past week :). We actually allowed Otis to have multiple treats this year - I made him gingersnap ice cream sandwiches, although he mostly licked out the ice cream. I guess we're getting soft as the years go by. It's amazing how kids put a time stamp on your life. I cannot believe it was two years ago today that I was literally holding my lips shut trying to push him out into this crazy world. He's a marvel. So quick to pick up on things, it's scary. It makes us be the people we want him to be. I love it (most days). He's had the blessing of being raised by four adults in our household (we live with Happy & Grandpa) & have recently been told that since a second one will be joining us in a few months, it's only fair that when our pending move arrives in the spring, that Otis should stay with Grandma & Grandpa because we'll have another baby to take with us anyways. I'm sure a few years down the road I may have wished I had taken them up on the offer...oh, my little O - I couldn't imagine life without ya!


---------

We had the pleasure of visiting with some friends this week in Midtown Manhattan - mostly the topic of conversation pertained to the sustainable community that is currently in the planning process of our immediate futures. It has been exciting to see folks from different backgrounds come to an understanding/realization of what I have been taught all of my life. To be prepared. To be self-sustaining. To develop & share ones strengths and talents. I am still trying to decide what specific skills I need to acquire that will be a benefit to the community...should I learn to make pottery? Make paper? I certainly need to catch up on my animal husbandry & gardening.
Again, options are endless. We've started a list of things we need to have on hand. Recently a couple of dear friends introduced me to the world of pressure cookers. This is a must have. It is my current birthday wish.

----------

My favorite Advertisement of the week:

"The only thing more valuable than a Engineer with vision is an Engineer with children."
- a Hyundai minivan ad.



So true...Although this week Andy wants to be a Psychologist.

I think we've also narrowed down that this community we want to build needs to be by a University. For obvious reasons...

----------

Andy & I are also revisiting the idea of "Homework Assignments" for each other. We select topics to work on/discuss each week and hold each other accountable for this progress. We've deemed our weekly Wednesday "date nights" to present our progress reports. Oh so romantic.
This week's theme: How to approach the Christmas Holiday and how do we make it meaningful?

----------

1 comment:

Letty said...

Happy birthday little o'! I like the idea of having weekly date nights on specific topics...I may have to get the rickster in on that great idea! I'm glad you are back we'll have to get together soon!