Friday, January 11, 2008

I gotta go...I gotta go

...I gotta go to Mexico. (well, San Diego - it's not quite Mexico, but geographically it was only a trolley ride away). Otis (& I) love this book & it was fun to listen to him proclaim this almost accessible request during our trip over the past week.

We stayed right downtown, only a brisk walk from the water & the magnificent Balboa Park (the largest urban park in the nation, hosting the zoo & 13+ museums). We, of course, did not venture into the renowned zoo, nor the museum of natural history - of which was showcasing the Dead Sea Scrolls. $illy money issues continue to exist & Otis, frankly, was completely happy with the Train Museum & fish pond. Perhaps in a few years when I don't have Andy's voice in my head every time I go to pay for something, we'll (or, rather I) will actually go inside of the Louvre, Sistine Chapel, the MoMA, or even a silly puppet show instead of just snapping a quick pic & ride/walk on by : ) .

The reflecting pool & fish

Lego Mania - it made me dizzy.


Kids Zone at the Science Museum

Watching the pigeons

Being a pigeon :)

Two crazy carriers

I must say the highlight of my trip was, of course, the food. The day we arrived I discovered this little Italian place a block from our hotel. It was founded by a Father who established it so that homeless kids could have a place to work. They run & operate it entirely. We were completely smitten. They tossed the pizza dough right in front of you, serve freshly made soup daily (the bowl being the size of a small sink, for a mere $2.95), to die for paninis, scrumptious & ridiculously sized salads, and of course - gelato - gelato smoothies & gelato milkshakes. We basically had a serving (or two) of everything daily & it never cost us more than 20 bucks. So, we ate there everyday & tip as if we were at Deer Valley. It tasted great & felt even better. (for whatever reason, my $$ issues do not apply to good food or a good cause).

Andy's 10 minute presentation was well worth the good excuse to visit sunny Southern California, even if it did rain...

1 comment:

Letty said...

Welcome back!
I love the picture of Otis being a pigeon...looks like so much fun. And who can pass up a good panini and gelato?
sounds tasty!