We’ve had a CRAZY end of summer. Too much so to write about. All I can say is that fall is quickly upon us & I am ever so looking forward to the change of season & reason.
To bring you up to speed, the moves are in response to allowing the farm to flourish into more of a community space, rather than a family homestead. It was a frustrating turn of events, but we are really excited to have some space to let the dishes go, and allow our clutter to do just that. And to separate church and state. These lines are always a bit blurry for us, but we hope it will be better for all involved.
We will stay on as non-resident farmers and start to focus on a few things. Cows, for sure. We purchased 2 freshening Jerseys. That’s around 15-20 gallons of milk a day! Yeah! We’ll be brushing up on our milk, yogurt, butter, cheese, and of course ice cream skills. For now they are at the farm down the road.
Our harvest is(was) on full force – buckwheat, tomatoes, sunflowers, tomatoes, black beans, tomatoes, grapes & grapes. We’ve made elderberry syrup & grape juice galore. Ketchup – (I finally got it right). 2 gallons of honey. And veggies to boot. Now bring on the apples!!
On the pedal power front, they’ve transformed an old garage into a nice little shop for production to begin and have filled it up with toys - I mean tools. It is also right down the road, so that is grrreat. They will be working with another group of students again this year – a senior design engineering class at UVM. The interest and support is quite remarkable in our little neck of the woods, so it keeps it exciting.
Andy & I spent the past week in Park City working on and cleaning out the cabin. Thanks, Omi, for watching the boy-o’s ! It has been a rejuvenating and busy “vacation”. The cabin looks great. We finally did things we’ve been meaning to for quite some time. I am glad we were able to enjoy it for a day J. We’re a bit sad to pass it on, but it just doesn’t get the attention from us it deserves. We’ll see how it goes, but currently there are two interested buyers, so that is promising in this market.
We also were able to celebrate the big 7 years together on the 19th… It will be one etched in our minds forever. Our little rental car took us on one of the most scenic Sunday drives ever. We were afforded views of the Wasatch Mountains that we never knew existed. A sign suggested the “road” was hazardous to cars, but I was most positive I had done the drive before (obviously things are a bit foggy after 10 years). We’re alive and the car is back in Alamo’s hands. It was indeed, lucky 7.













1 comment:
I loved all the updates, Jori! The boys are growing so big, so fast!
I'm counting down the days for your return! I miss you!
Post a Comment