Friday, July 25, 2008

The culture club...

So we're settling in & getting our bearings. Even though we could play all day around these parts, we've actually started to work. I am taking a Permaculture design course. What is it exactly? One response we've heard is, "it's the answer". It's fascinating, smart & simple.

(for those who don't follow links...)
The term permaculture initially meant "permanent agriculture" but this was quickly expanded to also stand for "permanent culture" as it was seen that social aspects were an integral part of a truly sustainable system.

Permaculture is a system design tool. It is a way of
  1. looking at a whole system or problem;
  2. observing how the parts relate;
  3. planning to mend sick systems by applying ideas learnt from nature & other long-term sustainable working systems.;
  4. seeing connections between key elements (parts).
* It has also been nice to think outside the momma box for a few hours. (thanks daddy-o for helping out, i think he wasn't too thrilled about getting back inside the classroom, so it's a win-win situation).

* We've been in blueberry heaven this week. And tonight we have a special guest even making us something with blueberries & pork. Yum.

1 comment:

Betina said...

I think I could use some permaculture solutions for my parenting and day to day family life. Please send them my was ASAP.

I want to bathe in Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Perhaps a visit to VT could cure this desire.